Mar 29, 2007

Amazing Birds!

1. Hummingbirds flap their wings 50 to 200 times per second. Generally the faster time is in courtship.
2. They have the fastest wing beats of any bird and their hearts beat up to 1,260 beats per minute.
3. 30% of a hummingbird's weight consists of flight muscles.
4. In their non stop quest for fuel, Hummingbirds may visit 1,000 flowers per day.
5. Hummingbirds feed through a long, tube-like tongue that darts into the flower's corolla for nectar.
6. They can fly up, down, right, left, backwards, upside down and even loop-de-loops! Amazing really!
7. And finally, Do hummingbirds sing? Not really, but they do chirp and make deep-throated guttural sounds....If I could only make a deep-throated guttural sounds!

If you would like to learn more about hummingbirds, simply utilize your best friend Google and the you will find the list goes on and on....but my point here is that the hummingbird is by far one of God's coolest creations. I happended to stumble upon a hummingbird the other day and stopped to take these shots.



1 comment:

cheated are the clouds said...

Julie you have an amazing eye for photography, I absolutely love your pictures thanks for sharing them, would love to link you with my site, I am sure my blog friends would to see them also. awesome